TMST: DASHing Through the Snow

Every year, I look forward to the week we celebrate Hour of Code, but not for the reason you might think.  Sure, the exploration time and engagement during HOC is exciting, but what I really look forward to is what happens AFTER the Hour of Code.

I wanted to triple like this tweet by Jon Samuelson.  Since I couldn't, I am posting it here:

Preach it, @jonsamuelson!

The Hour of Code is meant to spark further engagement and interest in coding and robotics.  So as you head into winter break, consider: How does your classroom #continuecoding? What part does coding play in your learning experiences and curriculum? 

My teammate, Megan Kozar wrote an amazing blog this week about taking the Hour of Code further.  It outlines the why we must continue experiences past the hour, how CISD's Code2Learn initiative is designed to build the thinking skills behind coding and robotics into the curriculum and how we as Digital Learning Coaches can help.




Inspired by her and Jon's words, here is one way to #continuecoding this week....

My friend, Stephanie Shannon and I worked together to design a digital breakout that uses Dash robots and the Blockly app.  In the breakout, her 2nd graders must solve math problems to determine which "stops" Dash must be coded to before arriving at the Candy Castle.  Each group of kids places cards with images of the "stops" randomly.  It is their job to determine the path Dash must take using what they learn within the breakout.  





We created a Google Site to house the problems and used Google Forms for them to submit answers to gain access to the location "stops".  Stephanie also created a sheet that learners can use to plan and solve the problems as they go.  This way, learners can get back to their work if the activity gets interrupted.  The design of this experience was a great collaboration between the two of us.  





Want to learn more about this lesson?  Have a great idea to #continuecoding in your classroom?  Let me know in the comments!










Comments

  1. I love this! What an awesome idea! I'm going to share this with my teachers with Dash and Dot immediately :-) I was actually thinking the exact same thing. I'm a STEM instructional tech coach, so I get to do a lot with this kind of project. I spoke at my last meeting about ways teachers could continue to engage with code (because so many loved it and wished they could do it more often). Here were some of my suggestions:

    ELA:
    Have kids write instructions for one of the coding tutorial puzzles
    Have kids translate from code to English
    Have kids write a story about their game
    Math:
    Write a problem to identify what math was done in a script ex: (3 x 2)+ 4 = 3 move rights x 2 repeats + 4 move forwards = 10 steps
    All the mathematical practices = coding

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alli,

    Wow what a fun activity. I have made a note for myself to revisit this after Christmas break and share the idea with my elementary teachers. You are so creative. It would be incredibly fun to be a student at your school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your students are getting opportunities to #continuecoding even after the hour of code. I have begun running coding clubs during our SOAP period at the end of the day once a week using the free materials from Google CS. The kids are loving it! I am enjoying learning more about Scratch along with them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All About Me with Keynote

TMST: An Apple A Day

Jamming out with Jamboard