Feedback and Growth



Growing up, I was the kid in your class that wanted to do everything just right.  A 92 was not a high B, it was not quite good enough to be an A.  A reprimand made me want to hide under a rock.  I didn't even read the rest of the rubric - the only thing for me was the exceeds column.

I wonder sometimes if that is why receiving feedback is hard for me.  Somewhere along the way, I taught myself that if a process or work was analyzed and questions arose, that it must be wrong or not a good idea.  It is hard for me to accept help in the form of feedback from others.  My sensitive heart paired with not wanting to be seen as not being smart enough or enough in general holds me back.

They say admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Last year, I tried to step out of my critical brain long enough to LISTEN to my critical friends. I tried to separate any attachment I had and just grow.  I watched and noted how others handle receiving feedback, using processing time and reflection as part of the process.

And what I learned is...

I am still working on it.  Isn't that all we are anyway?  One big work in progress?

Perfection doesn't make a good coach.  Being a learner does.


Comments

  1. Made a lot of personal connections with this post.
    You have put your thoughts (AND my thoughts) into words beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading AND commenting, Samira! This one was hard to hit publish on, but your comment made me glad I did. It is such a process to try and give ourselves grace to mess up and try again. I'm grateful for friends like you that keep me safe on the journey!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All About Me with Keynote

TMST: An Apple A Day

Jamming out with Jamboard